Why telephone consultations [TC]
Questions & Answers
Why may I need TCs?
- Telephone consultations are a increasingly in demand.
- The have a very specific purpose but obviously cannot replace many face to face consultations.
- Video consultations are also on the increase. Modern technology enables Skype, FaceTime and many more modes of video-linking.
- Traditionally the video consultations have been used for non urgent medical advice for example in dermatology.
When should I choose a telephone consultation?
- Urgency of an advice which does not need a face to face visit
- Travelling distance to an appointment
- Lack of mobility with small children or several children
- Logistics of being in different places at a time
- Avoiding waiting times for minor issues
- Needing advice while visiting from abroad
- Needing advice while abroad on holiday
- Restricting infection risk during epidemics/pandemics
When not to choose a telephone consultation?
- When you think an urgent face-to-face review by a doctor is needed anyway
Can I pay through my insurance company?
- Check for pre-authorisation with your insurance company for refund - see next
- You will have to pay directly after the consultation and request refund later
- You will get a full invoice & receipt mailed to you after payment
Which in insurance company have agreed to cover telephone consultation if you have a pre-authorisation?
- Most Insurance companies will pay for telephone consultations instead of a face to face consultation during the COVID-19 Pandemic - if in doubt please check with your insurance company
- BUPA, AXA have agreed so far